Hello everyone! Today I am going to share with you my interview with the owners of Moody and Sanguine
- We are two best friends who have become family over our many years of living together. We often dreamed of doing some kind of creative business together and this was a fantastic opportunity. In addition to her sewing, Melina (Moody) is a fabulous painter and I (Denise / Sanguine) write horror and supernatural fiction. We are both vegan and so are our products, and we are gracually introducing more eco-friendly fabrics and supplies into our work.
What kind of products do you sell on your etsy shop?
- We use the loose heading of 'accessories' for what we sell. The mainstays of our shop are the jewelery and handbags / totes, but we follow our creative impulses sometimes. We make craft accessories like knitting needle rolls, home accessories like wine charms and cutlery rolls, and everything in between. The most important thing is that we make what we would use and love. Often it's hard to give the items up!
How long have you been an etsy seller?
- We've been selling on Etsy for about a year and a half.
What is your current location?
- We live in Halifax, Nova Scotia but dream of living in the country.
How do you usually promote your shop?
- We have used Twitter and Facebook, as well as our own blog to promote our shop. The thing I love about Twitter is I have really gotten to know some of the people who are our regular customers. It makes the cold distance of an online shop so much more personal.
Favourite books, movies, musicians?
- We share pretty much the same tastes in these things. Music is everything from dancy fun music to the Smiths and the Misfits. Movies we watch all the time are Serenity, Gosford Park and the Resident Evil movies (because Alice makes us want to kick butt! ). We are both obsessed with True Blood, and most recently the British show Being Human. We watch every British mystery series we can find. Books are too many to list but we have both recently been loving the Kim Harrison series of supernatural fiction.
What do you like to do when you’re not doing etsy related things?
- Between our real life jobs and the Etsy shop, spare time is hard to find. We try to see our friends to remind them we still exist and Melina loves cooking for them. I like eating what Melina cooks so it works out well. I am writing a novel and as I have never done so before, and have very little idea what I'm doing, it is taking a lot of energy. Melina tries to squeeze in painting time as well.
Do you have any advice you could give to people just signing up to etsy?
- Best advice I got was not to wait until everything is perfect before you start listing. We were stalling because we had a horrible camera and terrible photos. You can always work on those later, but if you wait until you think they are perfect you will never start. List now and fix later!
Where would you like your shop to be in 5 years?
- We both dream of doing well enough with our shop that we can quit our day jobs and support ourselves through Etsy and painting / writing. Here's hoping!
You can check out Moody and Sanguine at the following links